Sunday, September 2, 2012

Observation of PowerPix/Teach OK

On Friday, I was reviewing our weekly Power Pix using "Teach" ""OK" when our principal, along with a principal from another school entered the classroom.  As I asked the question, "What is a homophone?"  The students answered in unison using the correct hand motions.  Then, they used teach OK to first review the definition and hand-motions, and then to give examples of homophones.  After the first person shared, he or she used the "high five switcher" to give the other person a turn.  When they both were finished, they gave a thumbs up to let me know they were ready to move on. 

As I worked with one pair of students that were having difficulty, I noticed the administration talking to my students.  They were asking them what we were doing.  The students were explaining the hand motions to them.  After staying in my room for several minutes, the principals left. 

Sometimes, when I have been observed in the past, I have wondered if administration was pleased with what was happening in my classroom.  I worry about what the feedback will be.  However, with Whole Brain Teaching, I felt confident that this observation was a success.  I was teaching the California Standards, the students were engaged, and I was not doing all the talking.

After school, another teacher asked if they could come in to observe me as well.  She had heard great things about my class from the principal already!  I felt like giving a "Mighty Oh Yeah!"

1 comment:

  1. What great news! Congrats :) Obviously the principal was pleased if he/she was already mentioning you positively to other staff members! Keep up the awesome work!

    Miss L (WBT Blog Bug)
    Miss L’s Whole Brain Teaching

    ReplyDelete