Wednesday, September 12, 2012

First Day of the Guff Counter

Last night, I knew that today would be the first day that I would use the Guff Counter.  I have about 3 students that have been giving me "guff", so I decided to introduce this part of the scoreboard.  Yesterday, I reviewed the procedures for the Guff Counter given in the Levels section of the Whole Brain Teaching website (wholebrainteaching.com)  I practiced how I was going to present this new procedure to get ready.

During the day today I waited for someone to give me "guff".  By lunch time I thought that I might not need to introduce the Guff Counter after all.  However, while we were lining up for lunch, a student gave me "guff".  I said, "You just reminded me of a special part of the scoreboard.  I will tell you about it after lunch."

After lunch, I did not mention the Guff Counter.   I waited until the same student gave me "guff" again.  This time I said, "That reminds me of a new part of the scoreboard.You see, talking back to the teacher isn't allowed in our classroom.  I call this "guff".  When a student gives me "guff" I will say, 'That sounds like guff to me!'  Lest's see how that will look.  Zach, since you helped me remember the Guff Counter, can you help me?"  The student in question looked at the ground, and very quietly said yes.  Next. I asked him to say "I wasn't talking" when I asked him to stop talking.  After he gave me "guff" I counted 3 words (I wasn't talking) and added 3 tallies under the word "Guff" on the sad face side of the scoreboard.  Then, I explained that if the class helped me to stop the "guff" there would be no guff points, and the class would earn a happy face.  I taught them how to put their palms up and say "Please Stop!"  After practicing, the class got a tally on the happy face side of the scoreboard for using the new procedure correctly.

After we learned how to use the Guff Counter, we only needed to use it one more time during the day.  This time is was for another student.  The student that "taught us" how to use the new procedure was careful not to give any guff for the rest of the day.

My favorite part about using this system was that I didn't get into an argument or a power struggle with the students.  It is so easy to argue back when a student says "I wasn't talking!"  The next thing you know you are arguing with an 8 year old.  With this system, there is no argument.  The student's power to argue is taken away, and the teacher can move forward on a positive note.  The students loved the Guff Counter (unless they were the guffer).  I look forward to how this will enhance the positive environment of my classroom all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment