Monday, August 20, 2012

Strengths and Weaknesses

I have completed the first week of school using the Whole Brain Teaching strategies to the best of my current abilities.  These strategies helped my first week to be one of the best first weeks that I have had as a teacher.  Through this experience I have learned some of my strengths and weaknesses as a Whole Brain teacher.

Strengths:
Having high energy is one of my strengths as I learn the Power Teaching strategies.  I enjoy being able to use the scoreboard, have fun bursts, and practice what we are learning in an exciting way.  I love to see the students get excited about what we are doing.  Before using these strategies I would complain that my students were "boring" or "didn't seem to care."  Now, the class is full of energy and fully engaged in what we are doing.

Overall classroom management has also become a strength through these strategies.  I no longer have to rely on negative consequences.  Now, I can promise points on the scoreboard or a star on the Super Improver wall.  Today, I had a student that normally does very little work excited about showing me her work after I gave her a star on her Super Improver card.  It felt great to see her attitude change about learning in that moment.  I use to feel badly for giving negative consequences.  Now, instead of consequence, we practice the rules to get better.  After thirty seconds of practice at recess, students don't feel "punished".  Instead they feel like they were able to get special one-on-one practice time with their teacher. In addition, I no longer have to bribe my class with expensive prizes and time-consuming incentives.  The students are eager to earn points on the score board or stars on their card without asking for a prize. 

Weaknesses:
Being consistent is an area in which I need to improve as a Whole Brain teacher.  Sometimes I require complete sentences, and then at other times I forget.  At times I enforce hands folded for "Class" "Yes", and at other times I don't.  My amount of energy throughout the day also fluctuates.  Today was my first day using the Super Improver Wall, and it took me until after lunch to remember to add stars.  In addition during some lessons I might add 20 tallies to the score board and then completely forget to use it during another lesson.  I am hoping that through practice and constant self-reflection I will become more consistent.

Mastering the Whole Brain Strategies is another area of weakness for me.  I am learning the PowerPix along with the students, so I often forget the words or the hand motions.  I have not mastered strategies such as Oral Writing and the Genius Ladder.  In addition there are SO MANY more Whole Brain Teaching tools that I have yet to learn.  I browse the website and wonder, what is the Bulls Eye Game?  What is the Super Speed Rhyme Frog?  What are brain toys?  I am excited about learning and using these strategies and many, many more.


No comments:

Post a Comment